Pasta, Beans and Greens Soup

My aunt made this soup for us at a family gathering last year and Chad and I both thought it was delicious. When we had a cold snap a couple of weeks ago, I kept craving soup so I pulled out this recipe to make myself for the the first time. This is a really good soup, and if you wanted to make it even more filling, you could add some chicken. Perfect for a cold, wintery day!

I didn't realize this was a Cooking Light recipe when I made it, but I just looked at the original from my aunt and realized that is where she got it from. In the picture on their website, the soup looks really thick. As I was cooking it, I thought it was too thick and kept adding broth to thin it out. Make it to your liking!

Pasta, Beans and Greens Soup
From Cooking Light



2 tsp olive oil
1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 (15.75-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 (14.5-ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes, undrained
1/2 cup uncooked penne (tube-shaped pasta)
1 (16-ounce can cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 (10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese

Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add carrot, onion, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes. Add the oregano, salt, pepper, broth, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes.

Increase heat to medium-high; add pasta, beans, and spinach; cook 14 minutes or until pasta is done, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle each serving with cheese.

Comments

Chris said…
I'm usually not a big fan of very thick soups, so I would have been thinning mine too. Looks good!